Nevada Mortgage Assistance Programs

Nevada Foreclosure Prevention Resources

Nevada programs addressing the mortgage crisis:

The state governor’s office in conjunction with the Nevada Department of Business and Industry created Nevada Foreclosure Help! The program offers foreclosure information and counselors to explain available options. A counselor will be familiar with the workout arrangements that lenders will consider and will know what course of action makes the most sense for you and your family, based on your circumstances. In addition, the counselor can call the lender with you or on your behalf to discuss a workout plan.

The organization has also created a very helpful workbook for those seeking foreclosure help. A PDF of the workbook can be downloaded at

Key Contacts and Information

To find out more about help available to Nevada residents who are having trouble with their mortgages, please visit

Mortgage lenders are regulated by various state and federal organizations. If you feel that your lender or mortgage company has acted in violation of the law, you may lodge a complaint with one or more of the appropriate government entities:

Nevada Financial Institutions Division
Las Vegas: 702-486-4120
Carson City: 775-687-5522

Office of the Commissioner
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd., Suite 180
Las Vegas, NV 89121

Office of the Commissioner
1179 Fairview Drive, Suite 201
Carson City, NV 89701

The FID regulates state financial institutions, including mortgage lenders, banks, savings and loans and credit unions, among others. The FID does not regulate any banks, savings and loans or credit unions with the term “national” or “federal” in their names. See below for organizations that regulate these institutions.

You may lodge a complaint at

The DFI Consumer Affairs Division reviews all complaints against licensed entities or allegations of unlicensed activity.

If you believe you have been the victim of mortgage fraud you can also download a complaint form at

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)

The OCC regulates national banks, which are distinguished by the words “national” or “national association” or the initials “N.A.” Examples of national banks are Bank of America, N.A., City National Bank, Wachovia Bank, N.A. and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

If you would like to file a complaint about a national bank, you may use the OCC’s online complaint form at preferred method), or you may mail or fax a complaint form accessible at, or in Spanish at

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010-9050
Fax: 1-713-336-4301

Office of Thrift Supervision

The OTS regulates institutions with the word “Federal” in its name or the initials “FSB” (Federal Savings Bank) or “FSA” (Federal Savings and Loan Association).

Office of Thrift Supervision
West Region
P.O. Box 619027
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX 75261-9027
Fax: 972-277-9501

National Credit Union Administration

National Credit Union Administration
1230 W. Washington St., #301
Tempe, AZ 85821
Phone: 602-302-6000
Fax: 602-302-6024

For 2009, Nevada ranked 1st among all states in foreclosure rate, an increase of 44.28% from the year before. Nationally, 2009 was the worse year for foreclosures in US history, with 2.8 million property owners receiving a foreclosure notice.

Related Articles